What are Cockroaches?
Cockroaches have been roaming the earth for some 320 million years. As one of the most primitive insects found, they are known for their adaptive qualities. The cockroach is well known for its ability to live in a wide range of environments.
Common Cockroaches in Fort Wayne
While there are over 4,500 cockroach species worldwide, in the Fort Wayne area, you are most likely to find one of these three specific types.
- American cockroach
- German cockroach
- Oriental cockroach
The American cockroach is about one to one and a half inches long, the largest of these three. They are reddish-brown in color and are most likely to be found in restaurants & other food establishments.
The German cockroach is about a half-inch long and is the most common cockroach found in the Fort Wayne area. They are tan in color and can most commonly be found in kitchen areas.
The Oriental Cockroach is about one inch long and prefers to live in sewers. Â They are black or dark brown and may enter your home through broken sewer pipes.
- According to AAFA, 63% of homes in the U.S. contain cockroaches.
- Cockroaches leave their particles, including saliva, droppings and decomposing body parts.
- Cockroach particles can help cause allergy outbreaks and asthma attacks.
- Can hold their breath for up to 40 minutes.
- Can survive being submerged under water for 30 minutes.
- The American Cockroach has shown a propensity for being attracted to alcoholic beverages.
- Cockroaches are cold-blooded and can live without food for one month or without water for one week.
While a good portion of cockroach information is true, there are also a lot of myths surrounding these pests.
- Cockroaches can survive a nuclear blast. – False. One of, if not the most common myths. The truth is that a cockroach can withstand 10x more radiation than a human.
- All roaches fly. – False. Some can, but most just use their wings to stabilize while jumping. Some can’t even do that.
- Roaches can live for decades – False. Roaches typically live for a few months and up to a couple of years.
- Cockroaches don’t breathe oxygen. – False. While they can hold their breath for 40 minutes or be submerged in water for up to 30 minutes, they do breathe oxygen.
- Roaches only invade dirty homes. – False. Cockroaches do not discriminate. Â They will live anywhere, preferring dark tight areas.
Cockroaches are notoriously hard to eliminate because of their ability to live in a wide range of environments. Here are a few tips to help you.
Professional Pest Control
The most effective way of ridding your home of cockroach infestations is to call a professional pest control company. Knowledge and experience is no match for a cockroach infestation.